Being asked to be an usher for a friend or family members wedding is an honor. While there will be a little work, remember the couple has chosen you to be an ambassador for them on their special day. Here are some things you may want to keep in mind:
- You will be required to rent a tuxedo for the event. The couple will provide you with a location for you to go and get measured, and a trial fitting. Make sure you go to the trial fitting, you wouldn’t want to spend the entire day in clothing that doesn’t fit.
- You may be required to provide your own transportation. If you are in a large bridal party the bride and groom may rent a large limousine for you but don’t expect one.
- You will be expected to contribute to the groom’s gift. The best man is in charge of selecting the gift and will let you know what you are getting and what your contribution will be.
If there is going to be a bachelor party you will be expected to go, and possibly contribute to any entertainment expenses.
- You will be expected to go to the rehearsal. This is the dry run through of the event and you will receive all of the instruction for the special day.
- You will be invited to the rehearsal dinner. This is an event reserved for the couples closest family and bridal party. If you have a significant other the bride or groom will usually invite them, however it’s not a requirement.
- You should arrive at the ceremony at least an hour early, and you will be expected to seat the guests or deal with any unexpected problems or issues come up. When escorting women stand to their left and offer them your right arm to hold. For couples the proper etiquette is to walk ahead of the couple.
- Once the ceremony is over you should check the seats for any lost or misplaced items. Save them and try and re-unite them with the proper owner at the reception.
- At the reception it’s your job to make sure everyone is having a good time, has someone to talk to and someone to dance with. Go out of your way to talk to people who are less than comfortable.
- Remember this is an honor and you get to go to a great party, have great food, and dance with beautiful bridesmaids.