For the recently engaged couple a bridal registry seems like such a simple fun thing. However as most couples find out it can become overwhelming very quickly. Fortunately we’ve compiled a list of helpful tips to help make registering for gifts a fun and pleasurable experience.
- Don’t try to register for everything in one day. Unless you are registering for only a few items it usually takes 3 or 4 trips to get everything you want. Depending on how far in advance you are registering remember items, and patterns may be discontinued, so your list may have to be updated, periodically.
- Get an idea of what items and styles you like. Spend some time looking through bridal magazines to get an idea of what styles dinnerware, flatware, and glassware you like. If you wait until you get to the store before deciding you will be overwhelmed by the choices.
- The top items people register for are dinnerware, flatware, glassware, cookware, appliances, cutlery and bedding. Keep your guests budget in mind while you may adore that $300 sterling silver tomato server it may be out of some people’s budget. Add some lower price items as well.
- When you decide to register, set aside a full day for the first trip. Arrive early in the morning when the stores are less crowded and the sales clerks aren’t busy and can spend more time with you. Plan a break for a light lunch during the day. Go back to completing your registry and go out for nice romantic dinner.
- Bringing your mother or mother in law may seem like a good idea, but set the boundaries before hand. Listen to their advice, but remember they are helping you with your wedding and the items you choose should be your style not theirs.
- Realize that marriage is a compromise. While you may simply adore that Wegewood china with intricate peach flowers your fiancÃ© may not like eating on them. Try to find a way to reach a compromise.
- Check the stores return policy, most stores make special accommodations for registry customers.
Try to choose a store that lets you modify, update, and check your registry online, this can save you a lot of headaches.