After your big wedding day you’re going to want to care for a store your wedding dress properly. Here are some helpful tips to help you care for your wedding dress.
- You want to choose someone who can preserve your wedding dress before the event. The store where you bought your dress will usually have recommendations. It’s better to pay more and have an expert do this service rather then your local dry cleaner.
- After your wedding hang your dress up on a hanger and check for any stains. Note where they are and bring them to the attention of the cleaner.
- Try bringing your dress to the cleaner as soon as possible. Letting the stains set for a week or two while you are on your honeymoon makes it harder to clean. See if you can have a friend or family member bring your dress while you are away.
Once your dress is cleaned it is wrapped in acid free tissue paper or unbleached muslin. NEVER wrap the dress in regular tissue paper it has acids that will eat away and break down the dress over long periods of time.
- You dress should be stored in a paperboard non acid box. If it has a window make sure it’s made of acetate, and keep the dress away from direct sunlight.
- Try to find a service that does the work on site and offers a written guarantee for the work.
- Typically this service will cost between $250 and $500 but can vary with more complex, ornate, delicate, or stained wedding gowns.