You’ve decided you’re going to buy a ring and pop the question, congratulations. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Decide if you are going to pick it out with her or give it to her as a surprise. Some people like surprises and enjoy them others don’t make sure you know before hand.
- If she doesn’t like surprises when you pop the question use a fake ring or costume jewelry. The act and the sentiment are what’s really important.
- If you are going to make it a surprise, find out her ring size before hand. Ask a family member or close friend who can keep a secret. Borrow one of her rings, if possible from the same finger on the same hand. The jeweler can measure it with a tool known as a mandrel.
Try to determine what types of sizes and styles she likes. If she has friends who are married or engaged take notice of whose ring she likes the most.
- Take notice of what type of jewelry she wears, is it mostly white gold, yellow gold or platinum.
- Visit multiple jewelers and ask for recommendations from friends and family. Be sure to ask about return policies.
- Learn about the 4 C’s of diamonds.
- The 5th C of diamonds is cost, which is usually two months salary.